All about this trip
The word ‘Mustang’ conjures up ideas of remoteness and seclusion, a region lost amongst the mountains. This was an independent country until it was closely consolidated into Nepal just a few decades ago. The region of Mustang lies north of the main Himalayan range in the area known as the Trans-Himalaya. A vast, dry and arid high valley, it has a barren desert-like appearance similar to the Tibetan Plateau and is characterized by eroded canyons and colorful stratified rock formations. It was once an important route for crossing the Himalaya between Tibet and Nepal, and many of the old salt caravans passed through Mustang.
Known to its inhabitants as Lo, Mustang was only opened to trekkers in March 1992 and you will be part of a small privileged minority to visit this remote outpost of Nepal. The capital of the Mustang district is actually Jomsom but the Tibetan influenced area, north of Kagbeni is known as Upper Mustang. It is the area which we will explore fully, discovering the wonders of the architecture, language, culture and traditions which are almost purely Tibetan in this once-upon-a-time mystical kingdom.
The kingdom of Mustang lies in the rain shadow formed by the Annapurna Massive and thus gets very little rain which fortunately, makes the area ideal for trekking even in the mid monsoon while the other areas of Nepal remain unsuitable for trekking due to heavy monsoon rains. The Trek to this mystique kingdom which begins at the airstrip of Jomsom after flying up early from Pokhara, Mustang Trek is rather easy as most of the route goes along the bank of Kali Gandaki River and eventually leads you to Lo Manthang, the capital of Mustang at 3840 meter, which is the highest point on this trip.
Join us on the Upper Mustang Trek
There is a 2 person minimum booking for this trek
Our Upper Mustang Trek includes 2 nights spent in the beautiful lakeside city of Pokhara
Our Team in Nepal have been guiding around this region since 2001.
You stay in comfortable lodges (or “Tea Houses”) rather than camping & the fantastic Apsara Boutique Hotel in Kathmandu
We take special care of our porters & guides. They are probably the best equipped in Nepal.
Your kit bag is carried for you, so you only need carry a day pack
Prices include all permits
You can take advantage of our free duffel bag, down jacket and sleeping bag for the trek.
The Upper Mustang Trek is suitable for keen walkers/trekkers who are able to walk for 4 – 5 hours in a day, with a light rucksack.
We can forward a detailed equipment list upon booking. However, you can also view our Recommended Equipment for this trip »
Over the years, we have gained an incredible amount of experience and expertise in outdoor equipment and clothing. We have applied this to each trip that we offer and recommend what we believe to be the most suitable items for your trip.
What's included in this tour?
Items that are included in the cost of the tour price
- Airport pick up and drop off by private vehicle
- 3 Nights accommodation in Kathmandu with breakfast
- 1 Night accommodation in Pokhara
- One full day guided city tour by private vehicle in Kathmandu
- Welcome dinner and farewell dinner at one of the best Nepalese restaurant with traditional ethnic music and dance
- ACAP Trekking permits and Tims Permits (Trekkers Security Card)
- Kathmandu – Pokhara by tourist bus (Flight or Car an option with an extra cost)
- Upper Mustang special permit & its procedure
- Flight tickets to Jomsom and return from Pokhara
- Breakfast in Kathmandu and Pokhara
- All meals (Lunch/Dinner/Breakfast) during the trek
- Accommodation on a trek (Lodge/Tea House) or Tent on request
- Seasonal fresh fruit after dinner
- Gov. licensed and well trained English speaking guide and his entire expenses</li
- A porter (One porter for each 2 members) and his entire expenses
- Insurance of Guide and Porter
- All required local tax and Gov tax
- Down jackets , duffel bag and sleeping bag
What's not included in this tour?
Items that are not included in the cost of the tour price
- International flights to Kathmandu
- Nepal arrival Visa
- Meals in the city except breakfast and other mentioned special dinner
- Personal expenses including alcoholic drinks and beverages
- Monument entrance fees
- Your travel insurance that covers Helicopter evacuation
- Any other extended trips and accommodation
- Any Staff Tips (We recommend 10% of total trip cost)